We recently had the chance to sit down with Mike Ho, JV Driver’s Welding Guru, and ask him a few questions! Often referred to as ‘Yoda,’ Mike is well known and respected in the welding industry. Over the years, Mike has travelled all over the world, training both welders and welding instructors. Mike often works with the welders at JV Driver Fabricators by helping them perfect their craft. He has developed an on-site testing and training facility in Nisku to ensure that his welders get the training and experience that they need to be the best in the industry. If Mike Ho can’t teach you how to weld, it may be time to re-think your career choice!
Here are the questions!
1) What first attracted you to welding?
After high school I enrolled in the Kuala Belait trade school in Brunei. Back then I had to take four different trades in a year and found that welding came naturally to me, so I chose to pursue that. I found the many different processes of welding and all kind of different exotic materials one can weld on to be very fascinating.
2) How long have you been working for JVDF?
I have been with JVDF for 15 years.
3) Why do you think that JVDF has such an impressive safety record?
Safety has always been our first priority and one of the core values. We firmly believe in that and take care of each other.
4) If you could give one piece of advice to aspiring welders, what would it be?
To always think positive and do not be afraid to ask any questions if you run into welding problems.
5) Where do you see yourself in five years?
I would like to see JVDF have the most sophisticated welding technology and be the best in our industry in the next five years.
6) Do you have any great JVDF stories to share with us?
7) What was the most challenging welding job you've ever had to tackle?
8) Is there anything else you would like to add?